€172,500 has been allocated to Clare County Council for essential work on piers and slipways in West Clare.

Clare Fine Gael TD Joe Carey said that up to 75 per cent of the total cost of approved projects will come from the Fishery Harbour and Coastal Infrastructure Development Programme with the remaining 25 per cent coming from the local authority.

€75,000 will go towards essential repairs and upgrade to existing pier walls and deck, installation of railings at Carrigaholt Pier while €67,500 was allocated for the construction of a slipway at Querrin Pier.

A further €30,000 was allocated to provide safety signage at piers with particular reference to slipways.

“The harbours receiving funding under this year’s programme play a critical role in the social and economic wellbeing of Clare’s coastal communities. In addition to an immediate employment spin off during the works, this funding contributes to the ongoing development of fishing related activities,” Deputy Carey explained.

“It will also increase participation in marine leisure and supplement measures to attract greater numbers of tourists which ultimately create the environment for sustainable job creation opportunities in rural locations.”